If you have any questions not answered here, please contact us.
What does "Cognates" even mean?
The word cognate has a triple meaning: a cognate is a relative or someone who is in some way related to another; cognate words have the same linguistic derivation; the prefix "cogn" has to do with learning. We chose the name Cognates because of these meanings and how they relate to our goals: we aim to bring together friends who will learn languages together.
How do I sign up?
1. Fill out a simple form found sign up here.
2. You will receive an email asking you to send us a video stating: your name, your age, three things you like to do and if you are looking for anything specific in a partner.
3. After sending us your video, we will match you with a partner. This may take a week.
4. We will email you and your partner with some basic information about each other.
How old do I have to be to sign up?
People who sign up for Cognates should be at least 13 years old and no older than 19 years old.
How do I decide my level of French?
One question we ask on our sign up page is about how well you speak French. It might be hard for you to determine how well you speak French but here are some guidelines you can follow when choosing your level:
- A complete beginner speaks very little to no French and cannot hold a conversation in this language.
- A beginner can string together simple sentences.
- An intermediate speaker has some experience speaking French and can hold simple conversations with ease.
- An advanced speaker has a great deal of experience speaking French and can speak the language with ease.
- A fluent speaker can speak French as much or almost as much as their native language.